|| If you want to transfer, then transfer. Yet, if you want advise, I'd tell you to stay at the school that you wanted so dearly to go to. You have the right to follow your dreams regardless of money. In ten years from now, will you regret your decision to transfer? Money can always be paid off; thus it's something you shouldn't worry about. Follow you ambitions and aspirations.|
Thanks for the advice. I’m just having a hard time with it overall, mostly because by the time I graduate from NYU, I will have wracked up over $120,000 in student loans, and that’s before medical school. Maybe I’m worrying about this prematurely, because with the career I am working towards, I should be able to take care of paying it off later on, and to some extent I can see the big picture there. But also the idea of having over $200,000 in loans after grad school is scary as fuck to me.
And another part of it too is that I don’t like NY as much as I thought I would. Maybe I just need more time to explore it in order to like it more, which could be the case. But it’s also a financial hardship. The city is expensive to live in, and it’s expensive to buy a round trip one or two times a year. And if I were living off of my own money, this sort of thing wouldn’t be as big of an issue, but because I’m taking 18 credit hours, it’s hard for me to work as much as I want, and so I end up relying on my dad for almost all of my living and travelling expenses, and it makes me feel like complete shit. I guess I feel like if I really loved the environment, I wouldn’t be having these sorts of doubts.
But on the other hand, NYU classes themselves I have been enjoying, and I’ve enjoyed some of the professors I’ve been able to work with thus far. So, I wouldn’t want to transfer and lose that opportunity, or transfer into a school that didn’t challenge me as much academically, which is definitely a huge concern as well.
It’s a toss up for me. I talked to my sister about it, but I don’t feel like I’m leaning more toward either direction at the moment. I guess I just need to take more time to think about it and get in contact with a counselor and see if I can define the pros and cons of either more clearly.
At this point, I most likely won’t transfer, but I don’t know. It’s a big, tough, decision, and I have no idea what’s going to happen.